Sunday, May 29, 2016

Fabulous Fun Fit at 50 "My Journey Becoming a Body Builder" Pt. 3 "I Won!!!"

It was during my journey of training, preparations, disappointments, sickness and all the lessons I learned along the way, that it wasn't just about the stage. It's bigger than that. I guessed what's "bigger than the stage"? The lessons you learn of self discovery about yourself, about your new eating lifestyle, to have the discipline to go without things that you didn't believe you could, about the competition you decide to participate in, about the industry and ultimately how you feel about the trainings techniques to receive the body you need to compete and WIN! You will also begin to love the transformation from within, self awareness, self gratitude, strength, confidence, self esteem, happiness and joy......being able to reward yourself for the small and yet huge milestones along the way. Loving yourself gives you a new perspective on life.

There were so many beautiful girls who stuck with it through preparations, made amazing changes in their bodies, and were angry or devastated when they didn’t place or win their first competition. If you’re going to compete, you have really embrace your beauty from within and it will exude outwardly. Loving your body throughout the process, appreciate the progress that you make without becoming fixated on the end goal so much that you don't enjoy or miss the lessons. I had to remember to stop and enjoy my life and the progress I was making.

Sidebar: In another series later I will talk about all the lessons I learned along the way. Keep reading!

”Put in your best effort and learn to appreciate the results you get without worrying about "the rest"!  My goal for my first competition was (1) to have the best body possible to present to the judges, (2) hear my number in the first call outs to come back, (3) highest possible aspiration as a first-time competitor in the fitness industry to compete in the night show, lastly but definitely the ultimate goal for me (4) to receive a pro card, {to be able to compete with the Pros}, (5) to compete nationally.

Go in confident, feeling sexy, sassy, classy....see yourself as a winner! Set the stage before getting "on" stage. You will hear critiques from everybody you talk to about fitness, by only listen to your coach and trainer or other credible source.

Competitions are very public and they go viral really quickly. One thing I didn’t know was how competing in to my first competition would change my Google status results forever. When you enter a competition, there are photographers at most shows, in the pit, taking pictures of the competitors . Snapping pictures from every angel and every direction. Always stand with good "posing posture" your pictures just might get on the internet. Especially since the bikini we wear on stage are tiny!☺️ If you are a parent or have a sensitive job (you'll probably want to consider this.) However, to me it's no different than any other pageant picture. I say without judgement "to each it's own". With that said the pictures usually remain on the Internet forever, so "you decide."

While competing will give you a more objective view of the anatomy of the human body, please use discretion when you decide to post progress pictures. Post your pictures wth the perspective of showing positive progress during your journey.

This journey can take you on many different roller coaster rides, however you have to choose wisely which ride you will and absolutely will "not" ride. Stay true to yourself. It’s important to know exactly what you want to get out of competing as you go in. Let me just say, it's not just about the trophy. Now this doesn't mean that your goals won't change as you progress, but overall, as with anything else, you do have a general idea of what you want "overall". The transformation that comes with becoming a bodybuilder is "inside" not just a "physical transformation".

Bodybuilding for me wasn't just about transforming my body, however it what I thought "at first". After about 6 weeks into the training it meant so much more for me. There was another milestone that's I was embarking when I started....yes four months later I was turning 50 years old. So I decided I wanted to look "good" at 50. Many of you (over 50 years of age), know what in talking about. I always "thought" I'd looked pretty good. But when the months of training and my eating lifestyle changed, the months begin going by it wasn't about my looks for me. It's was about the different lessons I learned about myself.

Sidebar: As I embark of this new journey "MyNextChapters", my foundation felt like it was slipping. The stability of my lifestyle was shifting. I didn't understand why I was going through what I was going through. I'd found myself "without a place I can call my own". Yes that's right I was homeless, however j always had a place to stay. I was grateful, and appreciative but it wasn't the same as having my own. I stayed with a friend for a few months then moved into my own place again, only to find myself back in the same boat after 7 months. I just couldn't get my footing and didn't understand why. Life for me was so confusing seeming as I always had it together. So many emotions were going to my mind which affected my self esteem, my faith, my self confidence and my spiritual mental self..

I'm a devoted Christian and God has always been the constant in my life. The scripture that helped my in this 9 month journey to stay focus regardless of the hurdles I had to jump. Psalms 12: 1-8 - In summary: Help! Some days our prayers are short and simple. Help us the "universal" cry. In Psalms 11, David was upset that the foundation was being destroyed. The faithful were disappearing. I felt like David. I didn't and don't understand however I remember Jeremiah 29:11 God's plans for me are to prosper me and to give me a future and a hope, and His end for me to have a future and a hope. However, it's "All" part of the process.

Note: Don't devalue my journey, if you're reading this then your course is not yet done.

There a vast amount of humility, humbleness and gratitude that comes when going through the storm. You don't come out the same as you were before going in. Life is different for you. You have a new perspective, fresh anointing, renewed spirit, clean heart and a battle plan for prayer.

There are a lot of people who take preparations to the extremes (but you can determines what "extreme" means to you). If you've ever been to a show you will agree with me that, many of them look absolutely amazing on stage, however with "extreme" preparations there are certainly trade-offs.

Many of my fellow competitors, have their own ways of "extreme" preparations. Some may even say my preparations were extreme. Some may even say they could not do what we do as competitors to prepare for a show. As I stated before, everyone have different fitness goals. Some of the competitors began depleting carbs for two weeks or more and dehydrate themselves to dangerous levels to get lean for the stage. I never had to "deplete" my carbs, I only had to decrease them. My diet worked very well for me during the preparation. We didn't manipulate it as much as I thought. That's because I dropped fat consistently. During the months of October through December I was able to increase my carbs by 1/4 and January we reduced back to competition dieting.

Now when i say diet, I'm saying my food lifestyle changes. I realize a long time ago that I cannot eat like I did when I was 20. I'm older and wiser.

That’s not the only way to do it. There are thousands of supplements you can take, and variety of ways to combine foods and eliminate certain things from your diet to lean out for a show. I learned most of pre and post workout supplements have some for of sugar and/or sugar alcohol in them which can cause the body to hold on to water/fluids. However, if you completely deplete all your water/fluids from your diet "too soon" you may began to experience cramps, dehydration and dizziness. It's also unhealthy. Most coaches will recommend one or more supplements to compliment your training, assist with your dieting towards reaching your goal. If you have any part–pre-existing medical conditions –most of these supplements won’t hurt you. But that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t clear your protocol with a doctor before you start taking a ton of pills in the name of competition preparation.

On the other end of the spectrum, there may be some alternative methods of supplement that may not be so natural, to help prepare for competition. I decided early on in the process that I would rather prepare for my competition by working hard and keep my body natural. However, it's a personal choice everyone has to make.

I've always learned that's if I make a decision right off the bat, I decided not to waiver....I have to be able to live with that decision. There are going to be times when preparations gets challenging. You may feel like you're not dropping body-fat the way you desire (because you're not "just" losing weight) or your body isn't changing enough or you don't have energy to make it through your workout...whatever emotional moment attack you may have...You will have many opportunities to make short cuts. If you know that you’re going to say “no” if and when that time comes, it’s simpler to stay true to yourself even when times are hard. I remember why I started this journey, that this all starts with a focus, commitment and perseverance on presenting your best body, being fit, most importantly, being healthy. I know that I'm not just representing myself. Whereas being amongst an elite group of women who choose to body build, someone is "always" watching me.

Sidebar: I didn't know my purpose when I began this journey, but as I started I knew I had a place in this industry. There's someone considering doing something "bigger than her, perhaps she dreams of being part of something bigger than her or doing something bigger Han her". She's reached her limits of what she can do to make this dream come true. Like me, she "constantly" seeks Help from above. When she's gone beyond her power, she knows He's her source. My encouragement to you is "keep reaching, keep aspiring....Dreams do come true, still." I "now" know my purpose in the body building industry.

If you’re considering taking unregulated, unnatural supplements in pursuit of that end, you may want to reconsider why you’re doing this in the first place. If winning is all that matters, there are much easier things to win. There is an old cliche' that's goes "winning isn't everything". Well, you have to determine and perhaps discover what winning means to you. Yes winning is important to me, however I won't stop if I don't win, first time around. There will be automatic sacrifices you'll make in "becoming a bodybuilder" as I discovered early on...as I also stated before you have to decide which sacrifices you can live with and those which you can live without.

Resist the urge to tear yourself apart when you see someone else professing faster than you think you're progressing. The process of preparing for a competition can be a rollercoaster. Although I’m very happy with the progress I’ve made, I had many days where I wasn’t getting the kind of feedback I was expecting on the scale, or from my trainer. There were times I didn’t think I was strong enough, lean enough, or had enough proportion. I had to force myself to look for the positive in my body and myself many times during the process. It is all too easy to focus on the negative and ignore the positive. Even when I didn't feel as though my trainer wasn't giving me the feedback that I desired, I could get into my head. I myself knew what I "desired" to look like and knew what work I "needed" to put in. However, looking back at my progress made me still proud of the successful progress is made. Remember, I said earlier, it's the small victories that matter, along the way. Taking progress pictures helps with me with this; as you watch your body shape up from week to week you’ll notice the improvements–like, “wow, my trouble spots are shaping up nicely” instead of “ugh, my legs still don’t look perfect.” Remember that nobody ever feels perfect, and you are no exception! Resist the urge to compare your body to other women in the gym or on stage. You have your own masterpiece that you can sculpt into whatever look you desire. There's also lots of products t out there that can help. If you are satisfied with nothing short of perfection, you will always be disappointed. Learn to appreciate progress and love yourself for the hard work you’ve put in so that you can get out of the process what you put in.

Have fun at the show! Even with all the anxious nerves before going on stage. Remember , this is part of why you begin this journey. Having friends with common interests is a great source of motivation and inspiration as you go through the prep process. I didn't have any friends that I worked out with at first, but I do have some now that I can work out "like a beast", the cool thing about it they can too! And while you may not know many people before the show, the show itself is a great time to meet a lot of friends who have similar goals and aspirations as you! I did meet several people I will keep up with their journey to see how far it takes them.

Going backstage with a competitive or unfriendly attitude will just make your long day longer, and you’ll miss out on the opportunity to meet great people who can inspire you in the future. I saw a lot of beautiful women, different nationalities, all whom had different goals. Some looked nervous and some  whom looked like they done it before! I didn't know why I looked like. I'd kept alert so that i wouldn't miss any direction. However I didn't know how to get backstage (because the door I was to use to go back stage said "FIRE EXIT"), so of course I didn't open it. So another contestant how go back stage, she said thorough this door (the FIRE EXIT door). I said no, the alarm was going to go off. She opened it and said it's okay. Needlessly to say, I almost missed my first Competition because i was late. Then I finally get back stage, the coordinators scolded me. I was already nervous and now I'm being scold. I said "okay already" I didn't know how to get to the back! It was like organized chaos. It's wasn't a very big show. The first thing I do when I get backstage is look for my first friend. Having someone to communicate with, to share prep strategies with, to complain about your diet with, gives you a sense of camaraderie that you probably missed when you were explaining to your friends and family for the tenth time why you were eating broiled chicken breast with 1/2 cup brown rice out of a plastic container again for the 3rd time already.

I actually did meet a young lady named Nikki who I ended up competing with in the Masters Bikini Overall Category. Nikki and I will remain in constant contact as we develop a relationship.

Practice your posing and work it on stage, too! Looking self-conscious (even if you feel it!) doesn’t help at all, once you've decided to go out there, own it, you’re going to love the experience. It’s exhilarating to be up on stage, showing off your hard work, and your well practiced posing, you’re going to feel much more comfortable out there. I did embrace the stage, I was comfortable and confident in my body. Because I was late getting back stage and had to immediately line up to go out. I had to calm down quick. I started praying inwardly because the back stage coordinators were upset, it annoyed me, so I had to give my self a quick pep talk. Yes they told us to be back stage, but no direction as to how to get back stage.

So, my advice to you, If first time competing ask someone early or before time if you have any questions. You're already anxious and last thing you need if someone's attitude of authority to negatively affect your mood. Shake it off. There's a list posted somewhere leading backstage so that you may know the order of the show. I wasn't told that and wasn't familiar with process, so I accidentally stumbled upon it. The show facilitators, coordinators or volunteers offer very little information. Look for it or ask somewhere it is. Also ladies, you may be advised to not wear deodorant because it could interfere with the lighting on stage and appear to be green under your arm where you've been spray tanned. Well needless to say I didn't get the memo. No, it didn't change the appearance of my tan, but because of the tight area we were in backstage it was pretty "raw". But then again I had no reason to show my arm pit. Also, before I forget, bring your food. The competition don't provide food so you will still prepare for that day like you've always prepared in packing your lunch. I also brought water. I'm so accustom to having my food and competition day wasn't no exception.

Once you come off stage, you can solicit feedback from the judges–respectfully!–this will really help if you want to compete again. I didn't do that, It’s amazing how different we look from the judges’ perspective! Though I did win First Place Masters 50+ 😍👍🏽💪🏾, I also competed in Novice Bikini and I didn't place. (I later learned that my body was being compared to the Novice winner. Though I had more muscle than her, her core was a bit tighter). I was a bit disappointed, but I won't allow that moment In time to stop me. I also learned a lot of the girls for connected to the show in some way or another, being it prior competitions, knowing affiliates of the show or organization. I wasn't bothered because I came to compete and win "fairly" and "I did".

However, what I will do is get back into the gym, do what I need to do to place First. I decided not to compete in the next 6 weeks show. But I will be back in September competing with the same organization with an even better body. Also my next competition i will also take advantage "again" of the crossover opportunity. Crossover means I can sign up for more Han competition category. This opportunity will allow me to maximize my chances to receiving a pro card. This is my "purpose" in competition, you ultimately may have a different goal.

But just know that looking good on stage isn’t the be-all, end-all of competing, eating clean and getting fit. When I see the girls who beat me in competitions once they put on their street clothes, I am always surprised that we all look virtually indistinguishable from each other. Remember, that by the time you get on the stage to compete, you have accomplished something that most people would never ever consider doing. Be proud of what you've accomplished thus far. You are in fantastic shape, (perhaps the best shape you've been in, in your life), "I am", and have come a long way. You deserve to pat yourself on the back a little bit!

Now that you've finished the competition, now you've got to avoid the post-competition rebound.  If you stick faithfully to your diet, you probably won’t have had many treat meals in the months leading up to your show. You will lie awake at night dreaming of pizza, beer, nachos, cupcakes, cookies, chips and other yummy “cheats.” You will spend hours strategizing your post-show meal. You can have a cheat meal after the show, maybe have a cheat breakfast the next day or maybe a lunch. I did. I also had a couple of cookies, but because I'd been eating so clean for such an extended period of time, it gave me diarrhea. And loosen up on your diet once your show is over, gradually, but not too much, too fast. The super restrictive dieting can be a bit crazy.

So don’t fall completely off the wagon. After my first show, I ate a few extra carbs and craved sugar. I weighed myself after a week and gained 3 pounds. Well because I knew we were changing my meal plan to that similar to carb cycling, I wanted to get the three pounds immediately, and I did. I got back to my stage weight. So even though my weight went back down my body fat went up by 2%. I was okay with that. I had worked so hard to prepare for my competition, and I “rewarded” myself for finishing. Allow yourself to settle in to the great feeling of eating healthy food most of the time, and allow that to pull you through the first few days after the show so you can continue eating clean, at least until you decide "what's next". ****Many competitors add thirty or more pounds to their frames in the “off season,” which means that they are in a binge/starve cycle all year long. That can't be healthy. Find peace, and find stability. It makes life much more enjoyable.

Sidebar: It's a mental game you play with yourself so that you sabotage your own progress, by over indulging in sugary, non-valuable nutritional foods (garbage). Each week I expect to look better and better. I do expect to see constant change in my body and my diet plays a huge part. I know that personally I'd like to see some even greater results in transforming my body to an even better package. So, I know I can't have everything I see. I make sacrifices and adjustments everyday. I literally have to remind myself of my future goals and aspirations. Well, though I hadn't quite made up my mind right after my first competition I knew I could just blow my diet completely. Besides who wants to go that far back....not me. I'd work too hard. So I'd like to at least savor the body for years to come.


Apply all the lessons you’ve learned along the way, to your life. Don’t let the entire competition process go out the window once you’re done, even if you decide never to do another show again. Sit down and write out a list of things you learned about yourself–physically and otherwise–that you didn’t know going in to the competition. Think about how your body responded to certain types of food (like whether you felt more full eating chicken breasts vs. egg whites vs. whey powder). Think about what type of training worked best (maybe fasted-state cardio isn’t for you). When were your energy levels up? And when were they down? When did you feel the best and the worst?

You're no longer practicing healthy eating but you're creating a lifestyle for yourself that include overall balance hat includes the benefit of healthy habits and exercise. That you now love. By continuing what you’ve learned in preparing for your competition as a normal way of  life will serve you well and make the process worthwhile. Read over your list if you’re ever feeling down and think about how much you’ve changed, how much you've grown. Every competitor goes through a metamorphosis of some sort that’s separate them from the obvious physical transformation that contest prep brings. You’ll probably find that you’re more mature, better at resisting temptation, more appreciative of the sweet things in life (literally and otherwise), and more confident and self-assured about more than just the way that you look. I know that all these things are true for me since I’ve started competing, and the process continues on the longer (and harder) you train.

Look forward to sharing after deciding what's next.

No comments:

Post a Comment